Attend a LoveYourBrain Training
We host comprehensive yoga teacher training workshops to equip yoga teachers and clinicians with the skills, knowledge, and confidence to tailor yoga and meditation classes for the TBI community.
"Besides the specifics of the neuroanatomy and physiology, tailoring asanas - meditation and pranayama, teaching techniques and components of facilitating the group discussions with were all super useful, I found that the emphasis on inclusion, compassion, and community as extremely valuable and inspiring. I also think it was indescribably valuable to have the combination of the yoga teachers, clinicians, caregivers and people affected by TBI attending the training and all sharing perspectives and experiences. That really made for an unique and I think very sustainable source of knowledge, education and inspiration. And how you as teachers lovingly set the atmosphere of inclusion by welcoming all perspectives as equally important and valuable was a profound learning experience for me."
- Elizabeth Hansen, LYB trainee
For yoga teachers:
for health Professionals:
what can i expect?
Over the course of our 18 hour workshop (example schedule), you will have the opportunity to:
- Receive the comprehensive LoveYourBrain Yoga Teacher Training Manual (+150 pages)
- Hands-on experience learning gentle yoga modifications, effective sequencing, and fundamental teaching tips to meet the unique needs of this population
- Learn meditation practices and pranayama techniques to focus the mind and calm the nervous system
- Learn about neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, the impact of TBI on the individual and family, and how neuroplasticity influences healing
- Learn the LYB 6-week FUNdamentals series*, which incorporates TBI-focused yoga and meditation best practices, class themes to foster resilience and compassion, and facilitated discussion
- Build conversation facilitation skills to support the discussion component of the FUNdamentals series, a unique feature of our program
- Both practice and teach parts of the FUNdamental series to make the experience as applied as possible
- Develop connections to the broader LoveYourBrain community and movement to shift the culture around TBI recovery and brain health
- Expand your tools for exercising more compassionate yoga teaching
- Receive a certificate of completion also requires reading Traumatic Head Injury: Cause, Consequence, and Challenge (aka “The Red Book”), and completing an assessment
Our training for Health Professionals also dives deeper into the following objectives:
- Learn the strengths and weaknesses of research evaluating the feasibility and impact of yoga and meditation for TBI rehabilitation
- Learn how to design a research study (e.g., identify valid and reliable measures, submit an IRB, collect data) to assess impact of a yoga-based intervention at your clinical facility
- Learn core principles about yoga philosophy and yoga therapy
- Learn simple meditation practices and pranayama techniques to improve attention control and calm the nervous system that can be integrated in clinical practice
- Practice and learn chair yoga techniques for patients with mobility limitations
- Learn the science of yoga nidra and how it can be applied to the TBI population to address sleep and mental health concerns
- This training is also geared towards clinical facilities that have been accepted to become a Clinical Affiliate and will offer the LYB Yoga program to their patients*
- LoveYourBrain is a qualified provider of Continuing Education contact hours. If you are registered with Yoga Alliance, learn more about how continuing education workshops count toward required Continuing Education units
- Our training for Yoga Teachers qualifies for Kripalu's 1000 hour teacher training
- Our training for Health Professionals may offer CEUs for professional disciplines (PT/OT/SLP); check with us if you are interested
- $385 and agreeing to be involved in our fundraiser, MindfulMarch, during Brain Injury Awareness Month.
Learn more about the teaching team here.
"Thank you so much for this amazing weekend! I have never been in such an empowering, compassionate, and supportive environment. There was so much love and curiosity in that room. I am still blown away and processing the whole thing. I could go on and on and on about how validating and beneficial the content was. As someone who has been practicing yoga with TBI for many years your modifications and queuing hit the nail on the head over and over again! As you know the healing process from TBI can be an isolating experience but over the past couple months I've been at a point in my healing where I’ve been searching for people to connect with in person. I don't know why it took me my surprise but I wasn't expecting this weekend to be an answer to those prayers. I am so grateful for all the new friends I made. Also I am so grateful that I was able to just do what I could this weekend and truly love and respect my brain!"
Katie Probst, Yoga Teacher and member of the TBI community
“The teacher training was so inspiring, informative, and meaningful on multiple levels. The events on Friday night really set the tone for Saturday's training, it made me feel personally connected to an issue that I was relatively unfamiliar with before and instilled a deeper meaning into not only attending on Saturday, but also my classes ever since. I have continued to think about the many ways in which TBI and yoga/ meditation go hand in hand. It really makes you think about the interconnectedness of the mind and body and how to go about rebuilding that connection when it’s been so threatened. What I think is so wonderful about using Yoga and meditation at therapy for this kind of trauma is that it invites survivors to be active participants in their healing. It puts the control over their bodies back in their hands. It really empowers survivors to step into their own power and find the strength and resiliency that remains in their minds- even when it feels like, or they are told, that it is lost. Pretty amazing. I am so excited to be a part of this growing movement.”
Sarah Cycon, Yoga Teacher
"The collaborative nature of the LYB yoga teacher training program was invaluable. Being able to participate in the training with the yoga teachers gave me a better understanding of what my clients will be doing, how to communicate the benefits of the program, and how to identify which client would be a good candidate. Kyla did a wonderful job presenting on the impact of TBIs, and the brain education portion of the course was a nice refresher for the clinicians. I think it is important for all of us as clinicians to educate our clients on the benefits that yoga and meditation can have on their healing process."
Ariella Ahlzadeh, CCC-SLP, Speech-Language Pathologist, Shepherd Pathways in Atlanta, Georgia
“I am so impressed; not just by the wealth of knowledge shared with us, but also by the community vibe built around the program. The training was truly a life-changing experience for me. I left feeling completely inspired and so eager to share the LoveYourBrain mission with the world.”
Amber Chesbrough, Yoga Teacher